In the afternoon of Thursday, the bill was able to secure a 15-6 vote in favour during the House committee session, causing visible outrage among many. It was promptly forwarded to the full House for further deliberation and underwent several hours of debate before eventually receiving approval and being returned to the Senate for concurrence.
Here’s what the amended version of the bill includes:
- School districts must create explicit bathroom policies
- Bans gender-affirming care for anyone under the age of 18, including surgical and non-surgical procedures like puberty blockers
- Schools can’t discuss sexual orientation or gender identity with students regardless of age
- If healthcare providers provide gender-affirming care to minors their licenses will be revoked
- The school district would notify parents of any mental health services relating to human sexuality